CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – August 28, 2013 – Native and Social Rich Media ads are, by a high margin, the best performing mobile display advertising formats according to new findings from Celtra’s quarterly Mobile Rich Media Monitor Report.
Celtra conducted a study looking into two key performance metrics of mobile expandable banner ads across different formats and types of media suppliers, and compared them with desktop display ads. The study shows a clear correlation between performance of the ads, quality of the supplier and sophistication of the format.
Native ads deliver more than 4-times higher expansion rate/CTR compared to static mobile banners and more than 12-times higher than desktop banner ads.
“It’s quite amazing to see how far mobile display advertising has come in such a short period of time,” said Matevz Klanjsek, Celtra Co-Founder and Chief Product Officer. “Witnessing this speedy evolution from simple click-to-site banners to today’s super engaging native ads is simply startling.”
Some intriguing findings from the study include:
- Expansion rate grows visibly with the increased quality of the media: from 0.36% when running on classic ad networks, to 0.73% when running on data-driven premium ad networks.
- Engagement rate across standard rich media ads is quite consistent: between 12.1% when running on ad networks, to 17.3% when running on premium publishers.
- Engagement rate skyrockets on native ads with 39.1%, and reaches a whopping 55.2% on Social Rich Media.
- Standard rich media running on data-driven premium ad networks have the highest expansion rate (0.73%), but the lowest engagement rate (12.1%).
- IAB Rising Stars formats that Celtra developed include pull and slider formats, which have by far the highest expansion rate at 3.59%.
“The most advanced ad formats, such as Social Rich Media, are clearly demonstrating mobile display ads’ huge and still largely untapped potential for successful and effective brand advertising,” concludes Klanjsek.
The study analyzed more than 100 mobile rich media campaigns running on Celtra’s AdCreator platform in Q2 2013. For more detailed data from the report, please visit the infographic here. http://www.celtra.com/infographic/?v=86